Monday, April 29, 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I confess, I don't really have a garden. It's more of a hodgepodge of plants, jumbled together in pots of all shapes and sizes pretending to be a garden. But this doesn't bother me, at least I have the space to have plants! My little patio is precious to me, it is our space outside that we don't have to share with other people. It allows us some peace in this chaotic city. So, back to how it's growing. I was ecstatic the other week when I stumbled upon a great sale in the market. C wasn't too convinced it was such a great sale and he still thinks I told him some false sum, yet how many green houses does he step into? Well, I got 15 petunias, one snapdragon, one dahlia, and a fuschia all for 11 euro. To make this an actual garden and not just  a decorative garden I added some cherry tomatoes. Let's see how long it takes for them to make some tomatoes, or die. The latter is a very real possibility knowing me.

















To answer my own question, my garden is growing slowly and beautifully. As I'm discovering, it is a continual work in progress- this morning I discovered aphids eating away at my jasmine, how do I get rid of those? By the way, anyone want to come water for me while we're away?


7 comments:

  1. Frenchie!!! Its beautiful!! And I volunteer to water. My Mom always got these funny packets of refrigerated Lady Bugs when she had aphids. I guess the cold made them hibernate and then when they warmed up and came back to life so to speak she would release them into the garden to eat the aphids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, I never see ladybugs. The next one I see I'm going to capture and bring it back to my place. Not a weird thing to say...

      Delete
  2. At sounds like an amazing deal! And it looks so beautiful. I can see you plucking a cherry tomato and eating it, only after smelling it of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I still smell things, less than before. But I am super paranoid about the rain watering my tomatoes. I think I will smell them to see if they smell of smog. ha!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! Im such a petunia lover! We just started working on our hanging baskets... It has been so cold this spring everything would have frozen before now! Hazards of tundra living :-)
    Im getting excited to start my herbs. Im going to try thai basil and some mint this year as well as my standards. Mint for mojitos of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucie, you must have such a short growing season. I was feeling a little behind when I planted everything. Everyone else seemed to already have all their plants and flowers ready to go. I must have been on Wisconsin time :P
    Thai basil? That sounds interesting. Obviously, I'm surround by the Italian one, how do they differ?
    Make sure to put your mint in it's own container, it takes over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what Corrado was talking about, that's a phenomenal deal!!!!

    ReplyDelete