| Really, 50 buck for this? |
I'm assuming you have all eaten these summer salads or at least heard of them and I'm sure you all have your own twist to them. However, I'm forgetful and appreciate when someone reminds me of something I haven't made in awhile so consider this post a reminder to help us start off our summer cooking. Feel free to add the same recipes if by chance you do something so drastically different that we NEED to know about it.

Bean Salad:
This first one is easy and I mean really easy. As in, can you open a can and dump things in a bowl?
Chick peas
Green beans
Kidney beans
White kidney beans (also called cannellini)
Red onion (if you're feeling fancy)
Normally, I get all the beans from a can, if you want to get fresh beans that is your business. Mix them all together and add a simple dressing such as oil, vinegar, sugar and salt.

In an ideal world I would really just dress this salad
with this delicious dressing, but it's hard to come by.
Potato Salad:
My mom makes this every summer and it has always been my favorite. Maybe not the healthiest but sure is delicious.
2 pounds red/and yellow potatoes, quarteredsalt and pepper
1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
1 small onion, chopped
Dill pickle relish (to taste)
Paprika (optional)
In a medium saucepan place the potatoes with salt and cover with water. Bring to boil and let cook until tender. Meanwhile, stir together the mayonnaise, mustard. Toss in the celery, onion and dill pickle relish. Add the potatoes and sprinkle paprika on top. Serve chilled.
Another Bean Salad:For this one I use just a white bean but the original recipe I have calls for borlotti beans.
Beans
Canned Tuna
Red onion
Parsley (optional)
Once again, (really difficult) mix all those ingredients together and add olive oil, vinegar and salt. If you really want, you can mince up some parsley and sprinkle that on top, but I don't bother.
Caprese Salad
I just have to add this one. You all know the ingredients so I don't even have to write this one up. Side note, I don't even bother with the basil and it still tastes good.

And everyone loves fruit salad but one of my favorite combinations is cantaloupe and blueberries. Something about the way their flavors combine...
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment