Corrado made this! How cool is that?
She is not too impressed.
I'm not huge about making a list of resolutions for the new year but I also think it's important to reflect and perhaps have some sort of direction for the coming months. Here is my attempt at a brief reflection of the year passed and turning towards 2014.
Recently, I've seen people finding a word summarizing their past year. After some thought, I would say "motherhood" sums up well 2013 for me. Technically I became a mother in 2012 but it was in 2013 that I really lived it. It is a state of being that I have entered and cannot undo. In just this past year I have lived so many moments of joy, suffering, anger, worry and many others emotions that are all tied to being a mom (and there will be oh so many more). Being a mother is like putting on a new pair of glasses, there is a new perspective on everything (I now cross the street prudently!). It has also changed the way I look at myself and my relationship with others. Quick example, I have learned that I can't respond patiently just to her, I have to also be kind to others (shocker!) in order that she learns what charity really is. Papa Francesco has recently been emphasizing the importance of concrete actions vs. words. And it's true. I can tell her now and in the future how to behave but what really teaches her is following my lead and doing what I do. And right now she copies everything I do- from cleaning the house, to scolding Corrado when he smokes. So last year was all about the beginnings of motherhood and learning all the simple things like changing diapers and breastfeeding. This year (and all the future years) is going to be about teaching and forming this little person, but by molding myself, first. Sorry, this is all really obvious stuff and you are all rolling your eyes at me but I feel it's different when you actually have to do it. There is an urgency about it and it's not a resolution that I can push aside and "save" for another year. As for dedicating a word to this year I need to think a little more on it. But I have the general direction.
Besides that, I want to try to live more naturally. Meaning I want to start getting natural soaps and using less sugar and things along that line.
Lastly, this is a decisive year for our little family. Corrado will be putting in his request to work abroad. It may mean moving to America or another country in Europe and it could open up a lot of possibilities for us in the future. Or his request could be denied(prayers that that doesn't happen). That would mean we would do some serious reflecting for the future but nonetheless we would be moving from Rome. So this is probably our last year here and I want to take advantage of that. It's hard when you have a little one to tote around and who does like waiting for buses? We will see what we can work in. Yesterday, we spent some time in the piazza at St. Peter's and took a Christmas family photo. Ok, multiple family photos because you never know if the person taking the photo is any good at what they are doing...
![]() |
| Happy Epiphany! |




That rocking horse is amazing! Can I order one from C? It's crazy that you might be leaving Italy. I NEED to find a way to get there before you go!
ReplyDeleteMiss you!
I love M to pieces. She always looks so much better than everything and everyone around her. And that little hat the "matching mother-daughter" beret you were talking about?
ReplyDelete