The past month has also brought the rainy season. Lots of time spent indoors which meant I've done lots of reading. Here a wonderful quote from Solzhenitsyn- very prophetic of our times. Quick background, he his talking about the lack of trials and overall justice towards those who ran the whole system of the camps- even in Germany, he points out, there were trials for the horrors of Hitler.
"It is unthinkable in the twentieth century to fail to distinguish between what constitutes an abominable atrocity that must be prosecuted and what constitutes that ' past' which 'ought not to be stirred up.'
We have to condem publicly the very idea that some people have the right to repress others. In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousandfold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers, we are not simply protecting their trivial old age, we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations. It is for this reason, and not because of the 'weakness of indoctrinational work,' that they are growing up 'indifferent.' Young people are acquiring the conviction that foul deeds are never punished on earth, that they always bring prosperity.
It is going to be uncomfortable, horrible, to live in such a country!"
Alexander Solzhenitsyn
"The Gulag Archipelago"
How right he was.
Miss M. has been getting in on the action, too. She loves when I read to her and tends to pick a favorite that we have to read over, and over, and over...
For some odd reason I have gone on baking overdrive. From crackers to brownies, cakes and more cakes. I have been out of control. I blamed it on the stress of not having a car and being trapped indoors for too long. Unfortunately, (or fortunately) Lent begins tomorrow and the oven will be used sparingly. It's going to be a long, sugarless 40 days...
The rocking horse has been a huge hit. She is on that thing from dawn to dusk. I think we might just need to buy a real pony someday in the distant future.
I do, however, curse the cute rocking distraction for her. She loves to rock so violently that she is going to tip the thing backwards one of these days. Once I was able to sit her on the thing and clean, trim some shrubs or whatever, now she needs constant supervision.
We did have some good weather allowing us to go to the zoo. Out of all the exotic animals that we saw what was the favorite- chickens. The least favorite, judging by her face below, were the monkeys (I thoroughly approve).
While there, we were surprised by a passing shower and had to seek refuge under an awning not much wider than her baby carriage. She took it as an opportunity to explore the smog coated raindrops falling nearby.
Tomorrow we leave for a long overdue visit to Corrado's family. I have to pack, guess I'll go do that now.
Tomorrow we leave for a long overdue visit to Corrado's family. I have to pack, guess I'll go do that now.
M is getting so big. She is so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI love the quote you posted and I think it's awesome that you are getting to read. I started to read out loud during the day. So when Donny is cooking dinner or when we have an hour where we are just hanging out, I will read out loud. I started reading A Confederacy of Dunces to help get us in the spirit of Mardi Gras/Lent. It's been great.
I need to take Luisa to the zoo! As soon as it warms up a bit we will go!
What a great idea to read out loud. By the way, just keep rubbing it in that I can't find that book.
DeleteI just started reading Don Quixote- it's so funny!
I absolutely love M's little grumpy monkey face in the bottom set! Let me know when you get back from the North Country. I have some crazy stories to tell you!
ReplyDelete