"As his hero and heroine pass the matrimonial barrier, the novelist generally drops the curtain, as if the drama were over then: the doubts and struggles of life ended: as if, once landed in the marriage country, all were green and pleasant there: and wife and husband had nothing but to link each other's arms together and wander gently downwards towards old age in happy and perfect fruition. "
1. How true is this sometimes? The "happily ever after" that does not exist. So what are some good novels discussing marriage, any suggestions for the next time I head over to the library? I can think of Pearl Buck's "The Good Earth" but I need some other ones that look at a more Western view of marriage.
Maddalena's favorite book has been Jack and the Beanstalk. I felt bad having to return it so we've turned to oral tradition with some pictures to help. She loves it.
2.Warm weather is here and we've been taking advantage of it!
| Homemade cornstarch paints! |
| Should I put a chick in her Easter basket? |
Other than that, just working our way through Lent and looking forward to Easter! What family traditions to do for Easter that don't involve tons of candy. Hmmmm...
WOW! M is like a little girl now, not a baby! She is so cute. I am so looking forward to Easter, I think it is actually might be my favorite holiday. I have carried on the tradition, from my Mom, of making Easter Sweet Bread. We do a version that I think is Yugoslavian, most European countries (esp Eastern European) have their own version. Each version makes a different shape and uses a different spice. We make braided loaves and use nutmeg as the spice. It turned out to be very fitting because Ryan's great grandparents came to the United States from Yugoslavia (now Croatia). So it turns out that I was bringing back a family tradition from his side as well, his Nona remembers her mother making it. Check out fisheaters.com they usually have some fun little traditions to do on there. Miss you!!!
ReplyDeleteWhen I was younger, Christmas definitely took the cake but now as I'm getting older I think Easter is becoming my favorite. That is so cool with the bread. I was actually thinking of making a breakfast bread which my great grandmother made (who was from Yugoslavia) called babka. And it happens to be very similar to what the Italians have here as well. A great idea to go on fisheaters- I need to bookmark them.
Delete